View Single Post
Old 28-08-2017, 12:12 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 851 / Power: 7
xxtwentyfour is a splendid one to beholdxxtwentyfour is a splendid one to beholdxxtwentyfour is a splendid one to beholdxxtwentyfour is a splendid one to beholdxxtwentyfour is a splendid one to beholdxxtwentyfour is a splendid one to beholdxxtwentyfour is a splendid one to behold
Re: Help ! Need Advice...condom slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTan View Post
0.004% is 1 in 25,000. In a Dr's lifetime, if he sees 25,000 patients in the same situation and tells all of them they do not need PEP, statistics bear the fact that 1 patient will come back to sue him for giving wrong advice.

Hi Dr Tan,

I would like to say your post is enlightening, but I would like to add my opinion and request that you correct me if I'm wrong.

The percentage 0.004% refers to a randomly selected member of the general population. A person who visits a clinic specifically to be tested or to seek STI-related advice is hardly a representative member of the general population.

To put it in another way, shouldn't we be considering posterior probability, that is, recognizing the risk to be higher than 0.004%, conditioned on the fact that he habitually engages in high risk activity.