View Single Post
Old 15-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 620 / Power: 11
DoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to all
Re: Help ! Need Advice...condom slip

Before I get into this, I would first like to say that I think the Dr at DSC gave you very good sound and logical medical advice and he is a really good professional Doctor. I mean this literally. Am not being sarcastic.

Now for my point.

If you look at the PEP guidelines, patients are designated various risk levels based on source risk, transmission risk etc

At each risk level PEP is recommended, not recommended or "based on individual case details"

Now, please note that it says not RECOMMENDED. The guideline does not say not NEEDED.

Basically the Dr is taking the risk upon himself to tell the patient that after weighing up the pros and cons, the cons outweigh the pros and PEP is not recommended.

Lets look at the facts. Yes 0.004% is extremely low risk but it is not zero risk.

If a person holds up a TOTO ticket in front of you and ask you if he will strike 1st prize you would probably say No. But he CAN.

Probability is different from possibility.

So again I say the Dr you saw at DSC was a very good Dr. I just wanted to point out these kind of tough decisions faced by us on a daily basis.

0.004% is 1 in 25,000. In a Dr's lifetime, if he sees 25,000 patients in the same situation and tells all of them they do not need PEP, statistics bear the fact that 1 patient will come back to sue him for giving wrong advice.