View Single Post
Old 28-07-2005, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 21821 / Power: 29
Big Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All you need to know about "Marriage/Divorce" under the SG Law

My wife and I were married in the 1960s (or before the 1960s) and our marriage is not registered. We have been separated for a long time. Do we have to get a divorce "officially"?

If you were married before 15 September 1961, this was before the Women's Charter (which is the law governing marriage and divorce in Singapore today) was enacted. However, under Section 181 of the Women's Charter, your marriage is still considered valid, so long as it is valid under the particular law, religion, or custom under which it was solemnized. If your marriage is a valid one, in this regard, you will still have to get an "official" divorce if you want to end your marriage, and the rights and duties arising from the marriage. A separation is not enough to end your marriage.
If you got married on or after 15 September 1961 and before 2 June 1967, your marriage is still considered valid under Section 184 of the Women's Charter, (i) if it was contracted (made) in accordance with the law, religion or custom under which it was solemnized; (ii) if it is not a bigamous marriage (i.e. not having more than one husband or wife at the same time); or (iii) if it is not a marriage with a close relative (e.g. a daughter and father, mother and son, uncle and niece, etc.-the full list of relationships where parties cannot get married is set out in the First Schedule of the Women's Charter. If your marriage is a valid one in these circumstances, you will still have to get an "official" divorce if you want to end your marriage, and the rights and duties arising from the marriage. A separation is not enough to end your marriage.

Sex health related questions click here.
WOMEN'S CHARTER click here
Sg law on sex related matters click here