View Single Post
Old 28-07-2005, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 21821 / Power: 29
Big Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All you need to know about "Marriage/Divorce" under the SG Law

Do I need a lawyer to help me resolve the issue of the division of matrimonial assets? What if I can't afford a lawyer?

You can, if you wish, conduct the proceedings yourself. However, you must ensure that the documents that you file in (submit to) the court are in the correct format, and are "stamped" (i.e. court fees must be paid for each document filed in court). There are rules as to which documents must be filed at different stages of the proceedings, and there are also legal arguments which you may have to make if the matter is contested. The court will not be able to give you any legal or procedural advice. So if you are conducting the proceedings yourself, you cannot expect to obtain any assistance or advice from the court. If, at any stage, you are unsure of what to do or say, then you may wish to obtain the assistance of a lawyer.
If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may wish to apply to the Legal Aid Bureau for assistance. However, you will have to satisfy the "Means Test" and the "Merits Test" in order to qualify for legal aid. For more details, you may wish to view the website of the Legal Aid Bureau.

Sex health related questions click here.
WOMEN'S CHARTER click here
Sg law on sex related matters click here