View Single Post
Old 13-09-2006, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1407 / Power: 0
Cheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud of
Re: Arsenal FC @ Emirates All Gunner fans fall in

Wenger - We are better equipped for Europe

Thirteen minutes. Thirteen paltry, pesky minutes. That is how far Arsenal were from lifting the Champions League trophy last season.

In the Premiership they were enduring the most difficult campaign since Arsène Wenger joined the Club in September 1996. But, in Europe, 2006 was a blast. In the group, Arsenal got 16 out of 18 points, in the knockout stages they beat Real Madrid, Juventus and an emerging Villarreal side. Then, with one man short, they led you know who for you know how long at the Stade de France.

On Wednesday, Arsenal start the Group Stage once more with a trip to Hamburg. Ahead of the game, Wenger reflected on effects of last season’s run to the Final.

“I did not really expect any credit at all,” he said, “but what I do think is that we’ve gained a lot more respect.

“When we went to Zagreb in the qualifying phase, I felt they were a little wary of us. This year we just want to show that getting to the Final was not accidental, that we can come back and win it. There was such a small difference between winning it and losing it. We know that becuase we went really close.”

Wenger also believes his side is better equipped, despite two high-profile departures recently.

“Overall the squad is stronger,” the manager declared. “Our young players have more experience and they can add something in the big games.

"Last year I feel we suffered at the back a little bit in terms of experience. [For example] Ashley Cole did not play in many games because unfortunately he was injured a lot. But now Kolo Toure and William Gallas have a fair experience, with Jens Lehmann it is three out of five who have that sort of experience. It should change our stability at the back.

“I do think Reyes will be a loss up front though. We played with a winger system at times and he is a typical winger. When you go to places like Madrid, you like to have him on the flanks so, on that front, he is a loss.

“However, we have players now we have brought in like William Gallas and Julio Baptista who can really add something in the big games.”