View Single Post
Old 16-04-2004, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 21821 / Power: 29
Big Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All you need to know about HIV

HIV Basics > Transmission

Source: http://www.aidsmap.com/hiv-basics

How is HIV transmitted?
HIV is found in body fluids. It is present in enough quantity to be infectious in genital fluids, blood and breast milk.

The main ways in which HIV is passed on are unprotected anal, vaginal and oral sex, by sharing injecting equipment, and from a mother to her baby during pregnancy, birth or breastfeeding.

Condoms provide excellent protection against HIV transmission during sex.

If you inject drugs, you can reduce the risk of HIV and other infections by not sharing needles or other injecting equipment.

With the right treatment and care during pregnancy and birth, and by not breastfeeding, it’s nearly always possible to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV.

How is HIV not transmitted?
You cannot get HIV from kissing, by hugging, or by shaking hands with somebody with HIV – or any other normal social contact.

Nor can you get HIV by being in the same place as someone with HIV, or by sharing household items such as crockery, cutlery, or bed linen.

HIV is not passed on by spitting, sneezing or coughing.

What can I do that is safe?
Kissing, hugging, massage, and mutual masturbation are all completely safe.

Condoms provide excellent protection against HIV when used properly for anal, vaginal or oral sex.

The risk of HIV transmission from oral sex is much lower than for anal or vaginal sex. Some people choose to use condoms or dental dams for oral sex to reduce this risk even further.

If you inject drugs, you can reduce the risk of HIV and other infections by not sharing needles or other injecting equipment.

I’m starting a relationship with someone who is HIV-positive, what do I need to know?
Many people who are HIV-negative are in successful, loving, and intimate relationships with an HIV-positive partner.

Modern HIV treatment and care can significantly improve your partner’s health and life expectancy. Many people with HIV can expect to have a near-normal lifespan. There’s a lot of support available to help you both deal with the stresses and strains related to HIV that may arise in your relationship.

It may be reassuring to know that you can stay HIV-negative. It’s completely safe to kiss and hug your partner. What’s more, many couples have intimate and fulfilling sex lives without passing on HIV

HIV Basics > Testing

Source: http://www.aidsmap.com/hiv-basics

How do I know if I have HIV?
An HIV test can tell if you have become infected with HIV. HIV tests are extremely accurate.

The tests used today can usually tell if a person has HIV within a month of their infection. However to be certain that a person does not have HIV, it’s recommended to test again three months after possible exposure to HIV.

If you have HIV, it’s very important that it’s diagnosed. This will give you the best chance of getting the treatment and care you need to stay well.

Where can I get an HIV test?
check out www.afa.gov.sg
Visiting AFA

What does an HIV test involve?
There are several different types of HIV tests. Often a small sample of blood is taken and analysed in a laboratory. Other tests give an initial rapid result using finger-prick blood, or even saliva. It’s often possible to get a test result the same day.

The tests used today can usually tell if a person has HIV within two or three weeks of their infection. In the past you might have had to wait three months to be certain that your test result is accurate.

It’s a good idea to talk to the person giving you the HIV test if you have any questions about it.

Last edited by Big Sexy; 17-05-2011 at 08:27 AM.