View Single Post
Old 17-12-2015, 12:31 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 254 / Power: 13
micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!
Re: Batam Info Thread

Mustafa Murtarbak
============

Location : Indorasa Coffeeshop. 1 min walking distance from Formosa hotel.
Google Map : Search "Indorasa Rumah Makan"
Speciality : Prata & Murtabak

Food : *Quintessential* Indian prata/murtabak
Value : 3.75/5

Conclusion : Indian-made roti-prata/murtabak. Period. Outer texture like a croissant (flaky) ! Inner - "meaty/chewy". The roti-kosong is dead simple but remains my favorite - just eating the crumbs/loose-flakes alone makes my day. The murtabak has oooomph and "snacky". As with all prata/murtabak - expect greasiness.

It was late morning and in Nagoya area. She decided to go to that very good murtabak stall near Formosa hotel. Yeah, why not.

Asked the boss (Mustafa) to make Ayam Special Murtabak + Prata-Kosong. Boss is 2nd generation Indian. Father came from India, settled in Batam - and opened this stall. Son took over after a period of apprenticeship.

Mustafa (speaks English). Notice the marble slab lying on the right side - that's where he makes the prata/murtabak, not on metal surface.

Our order came :

Prata-Kosong - RP10K, Ayam Special Murtabak - RP25K

1. THAT prata-kosong..... outside flaky like a croissant yet doesn't crumble like one. Inside texture is a solid "bounciness" . It was delightful to chew on that kosong, crispy and bouncy textures playing in my mouth. Notice the twirl (shape) - it's his father's technique to have the prata light, and fluffy/puffy - so that the texture isn't flat and "hard" like what we get in SG. Kid you not, we finished that Kosong and cleaned that plate - no crumb-flakes. The flakes themselves .. I just dunno ... just very nice. The combination of techniques in dough-quality/preparation, shaping out the prata, frying it, and that twirl made this Kosong my favourite !

MUST try.

2. Ayam Special Murtabak. OK, this one is not just a very hearty meal, it's a real heavy-weight. When it came, we knew it was overwhelming for 1 person. In the end, we just couldn't finish it - left 4 slices. LOOOL. It stayed crusty over time - not soft (or soggy-oil-soft) like in SG. The ayam special contains indian spices, chicken, and onion. It has strong-enuf flavour but not overtly indian-strong (like those I ate in India) . Best way of having this dish is to treat it like morning/afternoon snack (or high tea) with friends whilst chilling away. It's really very hearty.

The curry is tangy. it's alright - have had better. But for RP35K total (~S$3.5) and yet can't finish our order , absolutely NO COMPLAINTS.

PS : made a mistake of ordering KSC (kopisusucankil). Should've ordered teh-o-kosong to cut the greasiness and heartiness (not heatiness). That muratabak is a killer. LOL!

PPS : for those who prefer sprinkled-sugar on the pratas - do ask for sugar . Goes very well with tea-o-kosong

Enjoy~~~~~~~~~~