View Single Post
Old 28-08-2015, 12:41 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 254 / Power: 13
micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!
Re: Batam Info Thread

Rony Kwetiau
===========
Operating Hours : 1400-2300hrs. Everyday.

Boss . Uses 2 hands to cook. Each hand holding a long spatula - like a guy with 2 tentacles. The “stove” is chucked full of charcoal with pressured gas to blast the charcoal and fire up the “stove” (it’s a combination of blast furnace and charcoal – cooks fast to serving customers quicker and yet, got "wok hei").

We knew we couldn’t try everything in one sitting – there was just too much on offer. So our attention was on Rony. We ordered “Horfun” which is Kwetiau Siram, and Rony’s top dish – Nasi Goreng Petai. When asked what his most expensive dish was, looooool – Nasi Goreng @ RP25K, all others being under RP25K. OK.

The dishes came :

Grilled Corn : RP12K, Satay 5 x Chicken + 5 x Pork + Lontong: RP25K

Kwetiau Siram : RP22K, Nasi Goreng Petai : RP25K, Beef Rendang : RP25K

Total : RP109K (2 of us only finished half of everything.. we were too full.. the nasi goreng was too much but yet too good ! LOL)

Need to mention :

Nasi Goreng Petai (**MANTAP**) -- Don’t let the photo fool you as I didn’t take a side-photo. That plate of Nasi Goreng can serve 2 hungry guys alone! The Nasi Goreng was just too much for us. The fried rice was tasty, not oily, not dry, beady and “Q-Q” – great texture. Difficult to find such texture in any country – it’s either too oily or too dry or too hard or lumpy. The aroma…… wallow… the “wok hei” + the Petai + deep fried shallot-skins… … just makes one feel hungry/hungrier/hungriest.

*AGAIN* - I felt something missing – not complete.. missing that tiny touch of something… until my partner added the ceba-acar (chili achar, the red arrow in the photo). MANTAP LA! KNN! This delicately sweet, sour, tangy , spicy condiment sealed the deal ! *All* disparate tastes mixing and changing from one taste to another and, blending with the “wok hei” + petai-fragrance + shallot , with the beady “Q-Q” nasi goreng soy/black/salt seasonings. I fell in love with fried rice again.

Horfun / Kwetiau Siram - the gravy was alright. However, strangely, I noted that the Kwetiau here is *thicker* than the Kwetiau at A2. And because of that, the kwetiau is “more chewy” . Side note : I added the ceba-acar and wow – tastes delicately swung from one to another yet base flavour unchanged. Solid.

After our meal, Rony came to our table asked us for our opinion (likely is bcs I was taking photos). Told him the Nasi was very nice, the “Horfun” was alright. And that the ceba-acar nailed the (nasi) goreng. Loool. He replied that for kwetiau – his customers here mainly order KweTiau Goreng Kangkong Belachan. (mmm ok will try it next time I come).

We were very full. But we went on to try Amigo which is ~15m from Rony.

Last edited by micmac888; 28-08-2015 at 02:03 AM.