View Single Post
Old 19-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 254 / Power: 13
micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!
Re: Batam Info Thread

Singalor Lau
=========
- GPS : N 1°6'8.4384", E 104°3'38.3868"
- Landmark : Mega Lagenda
- Google Map : Search for "RM Singalor Lau Batam"
- Speciality : Grilled Pork Belly (BBQ Shao-Rou)

Food : 3.9/5
Value : 4/5

Conclusion : Roasty-aromatic pork belly. No porkish/pork-fat smell at all! Not oily even when one chews on it (the fatty parts providing that "Q" chewiness/bounciness only). No preservatives/salt/MSG. Place is not safe for leaving belongings in car (on person is OK).

Reached there 1530hrs and the place already 50% occupied. I surveyed the customers (existing and newly walk-ins) - seems affluent, "higher-than-middle". Hmmmm - must be good then (?) - I thot to myself.

There was one dish that my friend wanted but sold out (something like pork-rib soup with meat), he was quite disappointed bcs it's his favorite. Anyways, we ordered their signature - which everyone there was eating. (I was still thinking what to expect - it's just BBQ pork ma....but still feeling excited)

Each : RP22K include pork-rib soup and rice

Close up : Ubi (vege : a kind of potato leaves) + grilled pork belly

I took one piece, dip into green-chili-lime-black-katchup sauce, and chewed it. JUST 1 chew.... PHARKKKKK ... immediately I ordered another plate (bcs it will take time to grill), my stingy friend did the same.

That roasty, BBQ-smokey, with pork-essence aroma, with no porky smell after-taste and no oilyness whatsoever, and combined with the spicy, sour, and sweet from the sauce-mix, with fatty parts giving the bouncy texture chews ("Q"). It had no pre-seasoning taste in it - nothing. It was unadulterated. **MANTAP**

Had to go into the kitchen to see how it was done. Talked to the boss'brother, understood how they did it (turned out not just BBQ, and there was pre-seasoning but for a totally different reason(s).

The last part : the grilling itself - looks simple, but the efforts before that were not.

It was a feast. Loved it. Most BBQ meats is oily/greasy and can taste convoluted - but this one is a different class of its own.
Before leaving the place, I saw a paper-printed note in bahasa pasted on the wall. It was to caution leaving valuables in (parked) car. My partner says it's common here (but not that common) - so carry valuables with oneself instead. Well, noting that the customers seemed the more affluent kind - it does seem "logical". LOL!

After the meal - we drove off. We were driving along the main road when stingy friend suddenly said "yeaahhh !..... come let's eat organic, natural and cheap chempedak/nanga. It's along the way" . What he should have said was it is along the highway side. LOOOOL