View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 254 / Power: 13
micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!
Re: Batam Info Thread

BaiLong Mee Pangsit (Penuin Wet Market)
================================

Pic courtesy of Nono
Operating Hours : mornings until 1200hrs (better to be on the safe side - assume it closes at 1100hrs - LOL)

Conclusion : Avoid the ketchup version. Sambal chili version very nice and alot less oily than INSTAR's. Environment/surrounding will put one off.

Night before, set mobile alarm clock and named it "BAILONG" (LOL KNS!). It had eluded me several times - pek chek. Woke up, picked her sis/bro-in-law (staying at Gideon) - walked straight to Bailong. Again, must be because I had that focused-look on my face (like on a mission) - the boss saw and asked immediately what we wanted, and we haven't walked into the seating area past the stall yet.

Boss

All 3 ordered - myself non-chilly (ketchup), other 2 - chilly (sambal).

RP20K.

The ketchup sauce was just too tomatoey-strong. Couldn't taste the charsiew, mushroom, noodles, beansprouts. It felt like eating "Tomato/salt and dunno-what-others" kind of feeling. Noodles were "Q" - same as INSTAR. But the ketchup base - I just couldn't take anymore than 3 mouthfuls. her sis let me sample a strand of the chili sambal - (mmmmm... much nicer !) - so ordered another bowl - chili version.

The chili sambal version was really much nicer. The noodles weren't (as) oily (as Instar's). Can taste its noodles and other ingredients, dun feel greasy (for me). If not spicy enough for some - just add more sambal/chili to suit.

As Nescafegold mentioned - the surrounding was chaotic, claustrophobic, and "messy". People walking fast, eating fast, talking loud (it's bcs the wet market is noisy to begin with). LOL. It gave off a vibe : eat fast, move off - dun linger. None of us 3 wished to leisurely sip one's tea/coffee and relax/chat. Much like HK/SG's brisky coffeeshops/stalls. Dun like the environment.

Next stop will be BeiLong. If BeiLong is as good as BaiLong as Nono/LaoErGer mentioned - BeiLong would be my choice in the twin-Dragons shootout only because of environment factor. Will see soon. Happy to try !!!

Cheers!